Monday, November 10, 2008

Finding My Roots

This past weekend I went to Boston to visit my good friend Kate. She lives in Sommerville, just outside Boston proper, and next to Cambridge. We had a wonderful weekend of spending time together, catching up, and more importantly, checking out the fall foliage and its effects. So many fun stories, but I learned a lot about the magic of leaves changing color. Too, after they fall on the sidewalk, some sort of mysterious process happens where dark shadows of the leaf that was there speckle the sidewalk.
Aside from all of the leaves, Kate and I were talking on Saturday night about what to do on Sunday. She suggested going to Lexington and Concord. But, then she offered the idea of going north toward Newburyport, MA. I heard this and exclaimed, "that's where my people come from!" The Lunt side of my family tree (my Mom's, Dad's side) hails from Newburyport, so naturally I suggested we go there. It was a cute little town with a main street and neat old homes. After I got a hold of my grandma (yeah for Nana!) she gave me the information of the museum on Water street. After meeting a nice man working the gift shop he gave us the information about the historical society housed in the Cushing House. So, we tromped down there and took in the street that my uber-great-decendents must have walked down before.


A beautiful tree outside the T stop at Porter. That's Kate's local stop.

On a walking tour of Sommerville and Cambridge, Kate showed me her favorite house in the neighborhood. They have a big yard with all sorts of vines and branches growing all over the fence. On the vines were these beautiful satin pea pods. They were so silky and lovely.

Here's Kate at the Newburyport commuter train stop. She is looking rather commuterly, isn't she?


This is a view of the town center in Newburyport.

Kate and I stopped for lunch at a soda shop on the main drag in town. Go #20!

Here is a veiw of the town's main street. It was the perfect day to be in Newburyport.


Here's the Maritime Museum that Nana steered us toward.

She's not a Lunt, but I'm sure she's related to the crazy women in my family somehow.



Inside the Maritime Museum was this spread of all of the pictures of the Newburyport Marine Society. There were a lot of Lunts on the board.


Captain George Lunt (he was the Secretary)


Capt. Abel Lunt


and a listing of all of the Lunts in the Society

Here's the Cushing House

And me in front of it

Here's the plaque that claims this to be an important historical site. Wow I feel so American!



A view of the homes across the street from the Cushing House.
Another home across the street.



After we took in all of the Lunti-ness we could find, we headed back to Boston so I could catch my bus back to New York. It was a beatiful trip on the train with views of the water.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hurrah for you, Joanie!
How exciting to actually be in the very spot that your grandfather Guy Lunt always wanted to visit, but never had the opportunity to see. I bet it's impressive to see all those Lunts, but they were a serious bunch from the looks of them! Thanks for the photos, it looks terrific and so do you!
Love and hugs, Nana